Position: Investment Manager (4+ years’ experience)
Benefits: Generous benefits package including employer pension contribution and private healthcare cover
WHO WE ARE?
Maven Capital Partners, a leading private equity house, partners with a diverse range of ambitious, entrepreneurial management teams to accelerate growth, and serves thousands of investors with the goal of delivering exceptional returns.
Headquartered in Glasgow, and with offices throughout the UK, Maven has over one hundred investment and support professionals providing a truly nationwide coverage. Maven manages £740 million of assets for a variety of client funds, including Venture Capital Trusts (VCT), an institutional buyout fund, UK regional fund mandates, and Maven Investor Partners (MIP), a syndicate of institutional, family office and experienced investors.
What you need to succeed
The ideal candidate will have experience in an environment such as seed/venture investing, corporate finance, SME funding, strategy consulting or professional advisory including law, or otherwise experience directly concerning high growth SMEs and their funding.
- Professionally qualified candidate with ideally at least four years’ relevant work experience.
- The candidate will be confident, highly numerate and literate, analytical, demonstrate attention to detail, self-reliance, and have strong administration, time management and organisational skills.
- Demonstrate strong verbal & written communication, business development and negotiation skills, and be able to prioritise and work under pressure.
Ability to work in a team but to also use your own initiative.
- Personable, able to build trust, rapport and confidence, and work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders including management, consultants, advisors, and non-executive directors.
- Ability to digest and process large amounts of information quickly.
- Be inquisitive and proactive in learning about latest trends and sector specific developments.
- Ability to multi-task and flexibly adapt using planning and organisational skills.
- Resilient and resourceful when facing challenging situations.
- Strong understanding of Excel and ideally financial modelling skills.
- Strong desire to work in, support, and make a positive impact on the business community in Scotland specifically, and from start-ups/early stage in size upwards.
- Ability to work within a fast paced, small team environment.
- We are looking for someone who is a self-starter with tenacity and drive, and able to use their initiative to make a meaningful contribution to the wider team’s overall deal related responsibilities and workflows.
- Whilst there are various relevant backgrounds and routes to this role, including but not limited to accountancy, banking, corporate finance, consultancy and advisory; a strong grasp of business and finance is essential and experience in the transaction or investment community would be advantageous.
The Role & Responsibilities
Maven is one of the most active investors in Scotland with our experienced team backing a diverse range of high growth entrepreneurial businesses across a range of sectors. The team have enjoyed significant success including notable recent exits from Quorum Cyber, Blacktrace, McGavigan and Optoscribe. Further details on the Edinburgh based team, headed-up by Dr David Milroy can be found at https://www.mavencp.com/maven-edinburgh.
You will be a core member of the Scottish team helping to identify, appraise and partner with the most exciting high growth businesses in Scotland as well as supporting the growth of the Fund’s portfolio companies. Maven regards this exposure to both investment and portfolio management as the best way of developing highly skilled investment practitioners. The focus will be on the new Fund which will target a diverse range of growing SMEs across Scotland with investments of up to £5 million.
When working in this dynamic, fast paced environment the role will include but is not limited to the following:
New Investment Activity
- Support and generate new business introductions and relevant investment opportunities for Maven.
- Support investment team members in coordinating deal flow analysis and deal tracking via internal reporting systems.
- Liaise and network with intermediaries including accountants, lawyers, brokers, and corporate finance advisors to generate and manage deal flow.
- Attend and actively participate in management presentations and business meetings.
- Undertake detailed analysis of investment opportunities including initial appraisal, due diligence, financial modelling, building the investment thesis and writing internal Maven investment papers for the Investment Committee.
- Support the presentation of investment opportunities to the Maven Investment Committee.
- Support the presentation of deal structures and related terms to Management teams and advisors, assisting in the negotiation of terms and legal documentation.
- Review and consider due diligence findings and help negotiate investment documentation.
- Help drive deal timetable and deliver completed transactions in required timescales.
- Work with investment and portfolio colleagues to support regular board and investee company meetings.
- Develop a productive relationship with investee businesses so as to support their growth and exit planning.
- Monitor performance including cash requirements, challenge strategy and utilise Maven’s network to assist management teams.
- Undertake information gathering for internal monitoring purposes and for preparation of presentations to client funds.
- Input monthly management account and budget information into internal reporting systems.
The benefits of choosing Maven
What we offer:
- Join a team with a can-do, straightforward approach.
- An accelerated path towards taking ownership of the entire investment life cycle, including sourcing, due diligence and presenting the output of this work and the investment thesis to the rest of the team.
- An opportunity to work with a diverse range of entrepreneurs and build your network whilst being supported by a strong brand name.
- A dynamic learning environment where no two days are the same.
- An opportunity to develop new skills.
Your benefits package includes the following:
- Competitive Salary
- Share Incentive Plan
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Group Pension (10% employer contribution)
- Life Assurance (7 x Salary)
- Income Protection
- Health Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holiday
- Private Medical Health
- Company Sick Pay
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Pay
- Company paid training
- Cycle to work scheme
- Retail discounts
Maven Capital Partners is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive experience for all its employees
How to apply:
Does this sound like the perfect job for you? To apply please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maven Capital Partners UK LLP is a subsidiary of Mattioli Woods plc.